Thank you to everyone
Almost 100 people entered the draw for The Stars in the Night book giveaway earlier this month. Awesome! It’s nice to be wanted.
I’m happy to tell you that a signed copy of the book, plus the little rosemary sprig badge, went to country Victoria and received a glowing welcome!
Here’s some ideas for anyone who missed out:
- ask your local library to order a copy for you to read. Getting the book into more libraries means that it reaches more readers, which is wonderful. And a trickle of Public Lending Rights cents go to the author, which is a lovely thing … yes, if you see my book on the shelf, please borrow it 😉
- keep an eye out for a special price on the eBook version coming next month – for most of December, The Stars in the Night will be on special
- see if your book club would consider adding The Stars in the Night to their 2022 reading list. I guarantee that it would make fabulous reading for the month of April, when Anzac Day shines renewed interest on war service and its aftermath
Some reflections on social media for authors:
I decided that The Stars in the Night book giveaway would do two jobs: send my work to another reader, and give me feedback on my communication channels.
I’ve listed the effectiveness of each channel, in descending order:
- My newsletter received the bulk of responses (76%)
- Personal Facebook page (8%)
- Author Facebook page (6%)
- Author Instagram (5%)
- Personal instagram (3%)
- Word of mouth (neighbours) (1%)
- Word of mouth (family) (1%)
- Twitter (0)*
- Pinterest (0)
Of course, this is my experience with one giveaway, and most of the numbers reflect my pattern of usage. I’m not on Twitter much (*someone did enter from Twitter, but ineligible as it was for Australia only), and rarely on Pinterest (though I have an absolutely AWESOME collection of pins related to my books).
I don’t send newsletters very regularly. The strong response surprised and gladdened me! With this mini-experiment, I have a new direction for communication in 2022.
One thought on “Run and won: The Stars in the Night giveaway”
Nevertheless a very interesting exercise Clare. I did see it on Insta and FB so that’s something.